Create a wedding contest album is something far from what it is to lay out the album for the newlyweds. Not rules, but simply what I think can be a good line for creating a coherent story.
Creare un album per un contest
Creating a wedding contest album is something far from what it is to lay out the album for the newlyweds.
I found out during my first ANFM convention (Tirrenia 2017).
I spent two whole days enchanted in front of a projector looking at pages and album pages sent by members for the annual contest. But above all I was particularly attentive to what the judges appreciated and what they criticized instead.
It was my first time so I thought not to participate on that occasion.
I preferred to study and understand what it meant to prepare an album for a contest.
5 useful tips to lay out an album to send to a contest:
1) Make a choice: color or black and white?
The mix does not always have a good effect, unless there is a valid idea that justifies it!
2) Scrupulously check that post production is consistent between one image and the next and for all the spreeds.
3) “Better few but good” is the saying that has more resonance.
A story can be well told with a narrow selection of images.
Better to choose those with greater force and impact, those that bring elements to the story and communicate more. But above all that compared to the previous ones I always add something more to the story.
4) Consistency of angles. Avoid inserting photos that indicate a sudden change of optics. Like fish eye or wide angle. Especially if you are inserting only one shot with that perspective in the whole story.
5) Remember that everything you insert in the layout must make sense, it must be explanatory, bring value to the story. For example opening texts or graphics.
Clearly I agree with what my reflections are.
Not rules, but simply what I think can be a good line for creating a coherent story.
Today I show you the album that I presented for this year’s convention, of which I already knew before sending it all the weaknesses and errors. I tried in every way to create the best story that could be drawn from the whole work.
I chose this wedding shot by Matteo and me because it was a day in which we had a lot of fun.
We looked for unconventional shots in a very popular and popular location in Campania, where millions of photographs had already been taken at different angles.
We didn’t want to repeat someone else’s work, so we looked for shots that were absolutely ours.
I tried to insert a balance between the different stages of the wedding, introducing an equal number of shots and to insert photos that they already told alone.
The choice of white and black takes place to eliminate any form of distraction from the color that was particularly present in this location.
This, to focus on a simple story of two spouses who sprang happiness and love from all pores.